Saturday, February 14, 2009

It's Time

I heard from a blogger on Poll Bludger that Australian songwriter Pat Aulton has recently passed away. Apart from his work as a producer and writer for musicians such as Normie Rowe in the 1960s, Aulton's most famous contribution to Australian culture was writing (with Paul Jones) the political jingle for Gough Whitlam in 1972. The amazing "It's Time" song.

Below is a pretty scratchy version of it, but I have to tell you, for a true believer like me it is like listening to holy music. I know there was a lot wrong with Whitlam's Government - Rex Conner, Jim Cairns etc etc. But I tell you what, when I listen to this song, I want nothing more than to be able to vote for him. Perhaps I feel such a connection because it all happened in the year I was born. Or maybe, it's because it's Gough.

Either way, it's a fantastic song, that will never be beaten for impact - it is the "I Wanna Hold Your Hand" of political jingles.

And by the way, Turnbull can keep on talking about Rudd spending like Whitlam for as long as he likes. A vast majority of the electorate either don't know who Whitlam is, can't remember what Whitlam did, or have already formed an opinion of the ALP and Liberal Party based on Whitlam and thus will never change their votes.

At the last election Howard kept talking about the interest rates of 17 years ago; it seems Turnbull's strategy is to talk about the politics of 35 years ago. Good luck with that.

No comments: