Monday, May 4, 2009

The Logies. Sigh

I didn't watch the Logies last night, and so this morning I awoke to a terrible sight in the newspaper:

MOST OUTSTANDING SPORTS COVERAGE:
AFL Grand Final (Channel Seven)
Beijing Olympics (Channel Seven)
Beijing Paralympics (ABC1)
Supercheap Auto Bathurst 1000 (Channel Seven)
Tour De France (SBS)

Yes, the Olympics coverage was judged the Best Sports coverage of 2008. Not most popular - Best - as in this was decided by the industry panel.

Bizarre.

Here's what I wrote a month ago when the nominations came out:

I have only one thing to say though about the "outstanding" programs. We obviously do not have many good sports telecasts, because Seven has been nominated for its telecast of the Beijing Olympic Games. All I know is that if it gets an award for that travesty, I will personally post a slow motion montage of me vomiting in reaction with some Celine Dion music playing in the background. If not showing Steve Hooker winning Gold for the Pole Vault live is what now constitutes outstanding sport coverage then we might as well throw in the towel and admit defeat right now.

Well, I have to admit I'm going to break my promise. Some things just aren't meant to be seen. (Though somewhat coincidentally I did wake up this morning with a big of a stomach bug and did actually throw up - obviously my stomach could sense that the montage people were celebrating.)

So well done to the Australian film industry for rewarding mediocrity, and for choosing as Best Sports coverage the one nominee that was aimed at people who don't like sport.

No comments: