Wednesday, November 10, 2010

The Final Scratch at the Door

So I am a cat person. I don’t dislike all dogs, and I don’t like all cats – to be honest I don’t understand the whole must like one or the other – but were I forced to choose between the two animals, it would be an easy choice.    

I would be a good example that whether you prefer cats to dogs depends on environment – because growing up we always had cats. My wife on the other hand would be an example that cat lovers are born not made. She never had cats growing up and yet all her life she was determined as soon as she left home that she would get a cat of her own.

When she left university and got her first job she proceeded to get a cat, who very quickly died. She got another one. It followed her one day when she was on a walk, got scared by a car and ran off never to be seen again. She got another one. And yes the time was brief but well… brief.

A few of us who knew her used to joke that she was getting a reputation at the RSPCA cattery as the evil cat lady whom all the kittens were scared she’d pick them. She finally got a good one – a cat she called Hamlet who decided to stick around.

When we moved from South Australia to Cairns we left Hamlet with her parents. Thinking back now I’m not sure why we did. Most likely it was because we were driving up there and the cost of sending a cat by plane back then was pretty prohibitive.  

So for our first Christmas together I bought her a cat – this was 1995. We bought her from the Young Animal Protection Society, and she was shivering with fright as we brought her home wrapped in a towel in a cardboard box. Yesterday as we brought her home from the vet wrapped in a rug and resting on my wife’s lap she was moving no more.

Our dear friend of fifteen years was gone and so much joy has left with her.

When we went along to YAPS all those years ago, we went in with a plan – a male at least 3 months old that had been desexed. scan0001We walked out with a 4 week old female not desexed.

When we entered the area where all the cats were kept we made the sensible decision to let the cat choose us (or more correctly, choose my wife). There she was this little, truly pathetic thing. She was in a cage with two ginger cats who were obviously picking on her, for she was surely the runt not only of the litter but all litters. She had ears that were far too big for her head; eyes that seemed to have been created by some Disney animator.

She held on to my wife like her life depended upon it. We discovered her age and sex and put her down and went looking at some other cats. And though they were nice I knew my wife, and I knew there was no way we were walking out of that place without having picked the most desperately little and in need of care cat there was.

We named her Scamper, because she did.

She was it must be said, a hunter. From a very early age she delighted in bringing home her trophies – though why she thought we’d be impressed by her dragging  along a huge palm frond I am not sure.  Let it be said – very few leaves were safe in our backyard.

She also liked to sit in our backyard and make bird noises. I’m not sure which birds she thought would be tricked into thinking that a bird that looked suspiciously like a cat was calling to it and might be worth flying down for a chat, but nonetheless she persisted.

She was a peculiar cat. Very early on we knew we were lucky. Unlike other cats she didn’t have an ounce of that feline snootiness. She didn’t like being held – but she loved being petted, and she loved to sit on your lap and keep you company. She had an affinity for picking out the laps of people who until that point had professed to not liking cats.

She also liked being wherever we were. We lived in a townhouse and if we were upstairs she would be there. If we went downstairs she would follow. This also seemed to mean that she had an uncanny knack of knowing precisely when I had started reading a newspaper, and thus she would jump on the table and sit right in the middle of the page looking at me sweetly.

At night – because I was working shift work and would often be awake at night she would find a spot halfway between where I was and our bedroom until I went to bed whereupon she would jump up on the bed, find my wife’s pillow and sleep there.

The sleeping on the pillow was nice when she was a little kitten. When she was and roughly the size of the pillow it was less enchanting (at least for my wife – Scamper never bothered with mine).

scan0002She also had an odd way of sleeping. It was through lacking an older cat to show her how to do it she looked at me on the couch and thought that that is how it must be done, and so she slept on her back. It was not a habit she broke out of even as she aged, which often led to “Is there something wrong with your cat” questions from visitors. 

Of course there was nothing wrong with Scamper, just as there is never anything wrong with a loved pet.

We were massively biased, but to us we had the perfect pet – a cat who wanted to be part of the family, not just there for us to serve (as some cats seem to think is their role).

Scamper’s only annoying habit was her utter hatred of any closed doors inside the house. A closed laundry door would soon be discovered, so too a bedroom. The scratch at the door would continue until one of us (usually me) was getting out of bed and opening the door for her. Often this would result in her looking in the room and not bothering to enter. She didn't want to go in, she just wanted to be able to should she so desire.

This habit wasn't too annoying, though it did get a bit trying when you were sitting on the toilet and she wanted to know what was going on inside.

In time she developed this hatred onto the closed outside door – meaning I would be forever getting up, letting her outside, only for one minute later to be letting her back in, only to let her out, then in, then out…

Of course I could have put my foot down and not, but Scamper had long discovered that I was unable to watch TV or write while she was scratching at the door, and thus she would win.

And now of course we can close the doors and there is no scratching. It is too early though to do so. It feels wrong, almost disrespectful.

We thought Scamper would be with us for many years to come – we knew she was old, but she hadn’t seemed to change. Oh yes in the last two or three months she did seem to be losing some weight, but nothing that seemed too out of the ordinary for an old cat.

And then last week she stopped eating. I thought it might be just one of her moods where she was sick of the brand of food we were giving her. But then on the weekend my parents came to visit and usually this would lead to Scamper feasting due to my mother’s incessant desire to feed her as often as possible. Scamper went through the motions of wanting the food, but when it came to the eating part she didn't do it.

We also noticed that she was breathing hard – her stomach sucking in with each breath.

My wife and I feared the worst and so booked an appointment for Monday morning at the vet. We hoped maybe she had an infection that some antibiotics would cure. After all this was Scamper and only a week earlier we had been talking about how good she seemed to be – how she still jumped up on our bed, how she would be at the kitchen on the dot of 5pm wanting to be fed.

But we realised that she wasn't doing that anymore – in fact she wasn't even really walking around. We would pick her up and put her on my daughter’s bed and she would not do her usual trick of walking around and finding the most inconvenient spot to settle down. Instead she just lay where we put her. This was not Scamp.

I was not however ready to hear kidney failure, and heart condition. That she was not pumping enough oxygen from her heart, and so she was breathing as deeply as she could in the vain hope to get more oxygen. That her kidneys were no longer working. That she was in pain.

I wanted to ignore the truth, but as I looked at her I knew it was all true. It was as though she had fought off these things and then last week had run out of strength.

That night my wife and I knew what decision we had to make.

My eldest daughter was calm – she understood that Scamper was old and sick. But then when Scamper was on her bed, she realised that this would be the last time Scamper would be there and then the tears came and stayed. scamp 01

That night when my wife and I went to bed, we picked up Scamp, put her on our bed and said our goodbyes to her. But she didn’t want to go on my wife’s pillow. She just lay there gasping with each breath.

We both hoped that when we woke she would be at rest – denying us the act of doing what we knew was the only right thing we could do. But when we woke, Scamper was still there, awake breathing hard. We’re pretty sure she was unable to sleep, because she couldn’t relax enough to let her breathing be calm.

And so after once again saying our goodbyes we took her to the vet for the last time.

We knew we were doing the right thing, but geez we hated ourselves.

When we brought her home, we put her in her rug in a basket and we had one last look at her, and we knew immediately we had done the only thing we could have, because there she was looking as relaxed as she ever had.

My wife and I will always miss her. We knew we were lucky, and I am worried about getting another cat, because I think I’ll always compare it to Scamp, and it’ll come up short. I am glad my daughter knew Scamp – but I know she’ll forget her, as we forget most things of our youth. In time she’ll remember more the photos of Scamper than Scamper.

But for me I still wait to hear the scratching at the door and know I won’t. But regardless our bedroom door will stay slightly ajar just in case.

 

***

Maybe due to Scamper’s death or perhaps due to listening to the utter drivel and intellectual barrenness of Karl Bitar and Brian Loughnane addresses at the Naitonal Press Club in the past two days, but I feel a bit burnt out on politics.

I also have realised that next week I’ll be out due to work or family reasons every night, so won’t be able to post on Question Time. So I’m taking a bit of a break on politics posts till the last sitting week – usually an interesting 5 days.

52 comments:

Bells said...

Grog this was beautiful. Anyone with a pet once loved and then lost would see their own story, or parts of it, here. I'm sorry your family lost Scamper. She sounded just lovely.

Jaime said...

What a touching post. She was lucky to have a family that loved her so much.
Sorry for your loss.

Kate Carruthers said...

My sympathy on losing your family member -the story is lovely and brought a tear to eye.

Fiona said...

mew.

sorry to hear

xx

Rhys said...

Grog,

Beautiful post, thanks so much for sharing this, I think maybe your family and Scamper were just right together. Commiserations

Rhys

Debbie Higgs said...

The loss is usually too hard to describe but you have captured it. Eddie, a 15 year old cat adopted as a 6 week old stray, sits next to my laptop as I write this and looks knowingly at me as I type. Our animals - dogs , cats and horses in our case - are a part of the family and the only sadness in sharing their life is the inevitable loss at some point. The only small and seemingly insignificant compensation for grief is an eventual understanding that they enjoyed their wonderful life with you and that they would not have had it any other way. Life goes on but they never really leave you.

Moneypenny said...

I grew up with a handful of related cats, definitely part of the extended family. After the last of the line faded away I rescued a cat from the welfare league - like you bringing her home in a wine box. She is the most inept hunter.

I left her with my mum when I moved to Canberra as renting with a pet is hard here. That was nearly 10 years ago, and I miss having a cat. Reading this post has reminded me keenly. So thank you for that. (And I'm sad for your loss).

Unknown said...

Hey Grog - condolences.

I lost my beloved German Shepherd a couple of weeks ago, and as I type this, I have tears in my eyes.

Remember her, and she'll never be too far away.

Cathie

ernmalleyscat said...

Sad but nice.
I lost my avatar 3 years ago and couldn't bring myself to get another. I buried him and planted a tree in the yard. Two weeks later a stray came to the door and I remember thinking 'you're not as good' and it left.

A particularly touching story of the last weeks of a cat's life is beautifully done in a series of tweets at @RaniOldCat.

Fozzy said...

Thanks Grog,

That was a beautiful tribute. My sympathies to you and your family.

Take Care.

Kerryn Goldsworthy said...

Oh dear, I'm so sorry -- I have two door-scratching cats and I knew what was coming as soon as I read your subject line. My dad went through this same experience just last week with his beloved 18-year-old cat. Like you, he knew it was not just the right thing but the only possible thing.

Anonymous said...

there is a wonderful poem called rainbow bridge see if you can google it grog it gave us so much comfort our cat had tumor behind his eye and the dog liver cancer. they are our best friends some times i prefer our dog to humans and along with each other and our children and grandchildren our cocker spaniel is our bet friend. your lovley cat was meant to be in your life to have some joy and now peace.

Deborah said...

I'm so sorry. What a darling wee cat she seems to have been.

LozVox said...

Mum lost her bird this week, and although she only had him for 4 years, he was such a big part of our family because he had so much character. It's amazing how empty homes feel after a pet has died. I loved your post, it captured the incredible joy and inevitable sadness pets can bring beautifully. Thanks and condolences :)

Ash Ghebranious said...

Beautiful tale. I too am a cat preferrer but get along with animals and small children just fine.

The loss of Scamper reminded me of the cats I've owned or rather they owned me. I tended to give them crazy names. There was Ghetti (short for Spaghetti cause when I got her as a kitten, she was described as a Heinz cat). There was PC cause thats where he liked to sit. And the last two where Vegemite (a calico) and Peanut Butter (a ginge). All gone. But never forgotten.

Coincidently, my niece lost her cat Zeke a couple of days ago.

I am glad Scamper found a home and a good one at that by the sounds.

Sounds like she found love as well as a home.

I'm conflicted. I'm sorry for your loss. But so glad for the joy she gave you.

Great story. Brought back lots of memories of my own brood.

Ash

RosE said...

Our non-human friends are so special - especially because they seem to illustrate the many traits that human have lost like loyalty, acceptance, trust and unconditional love - your blog readers unite in sharing your sadness - a beautiful tribute .

Pip said...

Beautifully written Greg. I'm sorry too that you and your family have lost Scamper. Loved the photo of her on the sofa. Hopefully, in time another little beauty will choose your wife again, maybe even when you're least expecting it.
We had a much loved little dog for 16 years who ruled the roost with never any arguments. Eventually time caught up and we too made the sad journey home with a relaxed motionless little bundle wrapped in a blanket.
It took a year to decide that the house could not survive the empty feeling any longer so we went to the Refuge and were selected by another little critter. She had a rough time before she was rescued and had been badly abused. No more. She also likes to sleep on a bed; it doesn't matter whose bed so nocturnal wandering visits are part of the routine. We all get a turn.
She desperately needed a loving home but as it turned out we needed her too.

Acerbic Conehead said...

Now THIS is a cat
http://images.theage.com.au/2010/05/27/1512095/321235648-600x400.jpg

Bushfire Bill said...

I share your pain and your... it's almost guilt, isn't it, Grog? They trust us to look after them and then we do this terrible thing to them. It's all for the best, anyone will tell you that, but there's always a lingering doubt that maybe they might have gotten better (a miracle perhaps?) ot that they weren't "ready" to go.

My own cat, Timmy, is in advanced renal failure. He went 90% blind six months ago due to high blood pressure from the kidney problem. We'd seen this before with another cat. We rushed Tim to the vet emergency centre immediately, at 1am, and saved some of his sight with an injection of blood pressure reduction medication. He's been on pills ever since. Every single day I have to try to outwit him by mixing the pills in with some delectable morsel of fresh steak or smelly fish.

Worse than that, the poor little tyke has that horrible nose cancer. His nose, on one side, is gradually eroding away, just at the tip, but it's a wound that never heals, of course. The vet says he's not in pain, as the cancer numbs the nerve endings as well, but there's a lot of sniffling and sneezing and the occasional blood in his drinking water.

However, his appetite's akin to a horse's. He eats several hearty meals a day, and it's all good stuff: fresh meat and fish, with chicken breast from time to time. All he seems to do is sleep and eat... true cat retirement at last!

Tim was a tiny, wild, 3 month-old kitten when we found him, and he's stayed at least half-wild ever since. He didn't meow until he was 10 years old. Didn't let us pick him up until last year, when he was 15. A "cat alone", the stong silent type. Fought all the neighbourhood cats (and lost, because he's undersized) and caught lots of rats (in fact, dozens of rats, over the years).

But, to see him now, we know either the kidneys or the cancer are going to get beyond management with mere food treats and Norvasc pills soon, maybe as soon as next week. It's a terrible decision, one that never gets any easier (I've made it more times than I care to remember, having had 30 cats over the last 30 years, sometimes in lots of five or six at a time). I cry like a baby, every time. You never get used to it.

The lust for life is so strong. They want to keep on going, so you back up their decision. But eventually they'll tell you "It's time, Pop".

I feel your pain Grog. Spare a thought for us as our own decision day comes along soon. You did the right thing. We'll be doing the right thing. But it's never, ever, easy.

Thomas King said...

When I read " But then when Scamper was on her bed, she realised that this would be the last time Scamper would be there and then the tears came and stayed." I started to cry

Azra (my cat) does a similar thing with the door scatching, is a "mini-cat" (runt) and also getting older to the point where I do think how many more years do I with her....

My thoughts are with you+family

Thomas

Acerbic Conehead said...

By the way, good to see you back, Grog.

Bushfire Bill said...

I share your pain and your... it's almost guilt, isn't it, Grog? They trust us to look after them and then we do this terrible thing to them. It's all for the best, anyone will tell you that, but there's always a lingering doubt that maybe they might have gotten better (a miracle perhaps?) ot that they weren't "ready" to go.

I have a similar decision to make in the next week or so with our old cat, Tim, who also has renal failure and nose cancer combined.

It's never easy, but it's our job to look after them right up to the end. Keep your chin up, Groggy. Scamp is up there now in Cat Heaven chasing blind, three-legged white mice and having a ball.

Bushfire Bill said...

Grog, sorry about the multiple posts. The engine told me each post was too long, so I retried. It seems to have posted each (shortened) version anyway.

Longfulan said...

I'm feeling much the same way...can't stay interested in politics, not sure why...maybe I just don't believe anything they say now.

A previous tenant of the house I am now renting abandoned her cat, Syd. I haven't seen him, but he eats the food I leave out every night for him.

I can't own an animal now because of the heartbreak with pets in the past...cats and dogs.

@vanaalst said...

Greg,
Wonderfully written story - from the heart and full of emotion. With your wonderful writing abilities, (ranging from this post to your regular political posts) you should seriously take up writing full time. You are wasted in the public service.
Cheers
R

2353 said...

Sorry for your loss Grog, Scamper was just as lucky to find you as you were to find her.

All the best

Anonymous said...

Grog
Scamper had many things in common with my last cat Mad besides being a tabby with ears too big for her that lived a vigorous and very individual life. Mad was not fond of closed doors but made use of the closed toilet door by sticking her paw under it and fighting mock battles with the person on the other side to the obvious enjoyment of both parties.
I understand your loss and the perspective it brings.
Cat

Michael Cooper said...

A beautiful post, And even more courageous than you usually are.

You brought back memories of Sylvester, Benny, Choo-choo and Merv from long ago.

Inspired me enough to finally comment, after a few months of lurking.

firstkitten said...

having had to put down a fifteen week old kitten earlier this year as he had uncontrollable seizures, and having discovered how quickly he got under my skin and into my heart, i sat here crying at your story.

what a well written tribute to scamper.

thank you so much for sharing such a personal story.

Alistair Baillieu-McEwan said...

It always seems strange to me how we often seek to comfort other people when they lose loved ones (human that is) yet often difficult to verbally share with each other the grief that comes along with the loss of a pet. This current post Grog, and the responses, show how much easier it is to do online with the degree of anonymity that provides to express our own animal losses. For that reason alone, this post is one of the more valuable ones you have written. For me the loss of a pet is a reminder at some level of all losses during life.

As to your other point of a slight ennui regarding politics, I don't think you are the only one. I'm disengaging so fast at present that by Christmas I hope I'll have forgotten their are political parties anywhere at any level. Not watching news, not reading newspapers, but catching up on other things like reading which I'm thoroughly enjoying.

JohnG said...

Grog, thanks for your story. We too had too have one of our Burmese twins put to sleep a few weeks ago and it's been very hard since. He was in renal failure but doing well with drug support, but an undiagnosed lymphoma caught up with him and in the end he stopped eating. His sister is still with us and going along just fine apart from some arthritis.

Take care,

John

Unknown said...

Grog this left me in tears. I've lost many a cat, and dog, over the years and can empathise. It's like the loss of a child to a degree. We lost a much loved dog in 2007 under similar circumstances. She was also the dog that helped my wife choose to go out with as I was the only male little Ebbie didn't bark at.

whogivesratsarse said...

I was going to share our (my wife and myself) life with cats (and dogs)eith you until I realized there was a word limit. But one thing I/we have learnt is that different cats bring different colour and emotions to one life.

We had one cat for 17 years and then another for 15 both of which we had to take on the very sad journey to the vet. After our last cat died we were a little reluctant to go around again as they (that is right we now have 2) will be our last cats as either we will die before they do and we will have to depend on others, we hope, to look after them or their death will herald the end of our time here.

We have had our new cats for 10 months and my wife and I are glad that we took the plunge. They are nothing like our previous cats but are a joy to have around the house.

So Grog don’t worry about an unsatisfactory comparison with Scamper. I suspect that whatever cat you get he/she will be just like people, different, and their impact on you life will be just as rewarding as that made by Scamper,

Thanks for the Blog.

shady said...

I understand your loss. Some years ago a fairly young stray smooth haired black tortoiseshell female came to visit and stayed. Phoebe moved in via the frangipani tree and the veranda and decided that our house and the surroundings were her domain. The big dog next door acknowledged her supremacy by moving off his favourite top step and ceding it to Phoebe. At 10 years on her annual visit to the Vet we were encouraged to change her diet to something less than pork crackling, roast chicken and the odd prawn to something more cat like. That did not last. Phoebe was a great mouser though why she had to bring her live offerings into the house at 3 am in the morning and deposit her catch onto the our waterbed we never quite understood but it seemed appropiate. Phoebe lived on until she was over 19 years old, increasingly deaf but never a burden. One morning she left us over the veranda railing down the frangipani tree for the lst time. We found her under one her favourite trees stretched out at peace. We wrapped Phoebe in that day's Travel Escape Section of a national newspaper and tearfully buried her where she lay. I hope she is still travelling.

Greg Jericho said...

Thanks everyone for your comments - much appreciated. Those cats they get into your life don't they.

Aussiesmurf said...

A beautiful tribute. Very reminiscent of Bill Simmons' tribute to the 'Dooze' that he wrote a while back. I always imagined the pet's point of view being summarised in the song 'When She Loved Me' sung by Sarah McLachlan.

BH said...

How lucky for Scamper to have found your wife. How lucky for your family to have enjoyed so many years with Scamper.
Your post brings sad and happy memories of beloved pets lost so I thank you for it.
Commiserations Grog but I hope, in time, you find another Scamper just waiting for your wife to come along.
They make the house a home.

fancy nancy said...

Cats have much to teach us about life and death. Black cat, never given a name as I was not going to take on another cat, was known by many as he sat by the fence and let small children pet him. When he finally died of very old age, 11 of the neighbours insisted on coming to his funeral which while somewhat ridiculous was also very touching

emjar said...

Grog,
I loved this piece and how lucky was Scamper to have you guys as family. I have never been fond of cats and in fact only ever had Jack Russell dogs until we moved and a skinny,flea bitten starving ginger female kitten wandered into our house yard.At first we tried to resist but as we're both soft hearted suckers we started to feed her. She now rules our entire house and we named her Julia after Julia Gillard because she is a beautiful red head and knows exactly who she is!!As my friend says "you don't find cats-they find you" and I bet you're so glad Scamper found you. Cats give so much pleasure and memories to cherish. I'm so sorry for your loss.

John Armour said...

"To go outside, and there perchance to stay
Or to remain within: that is the question:"

I'm sure you know it Greg, Hamlet's Cat Soliloquy.

Sounds a lot like Scamper.

Unknown said...

We are enriched by those we love & who love us, even when they are "only" (how can anyone so important be only?) a cat.

But I am called to open a door, and prop it against the wind, for Widmerpool cannot stand a closed door, and checks them all routinely.

Mike said...

Having had a number of cats and dogs, I fully appreciate the loss you have suffered. The pain of each loss is always sharp, but the memories help keep me from being overwhelmed.

Artemis said...

Dear Grog

So sorry to hear of the death of Scamper. The loss of a loved pet leaves such a gaping hole. We had a similar experience with our border collie - he suddenly stopped eating, and when we took him to the vet, he was diagnosed with terminal kidney disease. It is one of the hardest decisions to have to make, even tho' you know it is the right one.

I hope when the hurt eases and you can think about Scamper without the pain of loss that you allow yourselves to love another pet. He or she will be different from Scamper, but will have their own personality and bring the joy that comes with loving and caring.

Take care, Artemis

Political Animal said...

When we had our chihuahua put down we walked out the animal hospital and burst into tears.

We waited 6 months then got another dog, a Jack Russel/Silky terrier cross, as utterly unlike Tiffany as two dogs could be, and utterly unwilling to heel properly for a few minutes in the obedience trial ring :)

Maybe get a dog next time? Really different?

Anonymous said...

Grog what a wonderful tribute to your beloved cat.Having recently lost out fifteen year old cat I feel so keenly for you. Like you we knew it was time but that does not make it any easier.
Scamper was blessed with love and care and she graced your life with feline fun. She will always remain a part of you.

IM said...

Have had and still have many cats - 9 currently, with a tenth hanging around, they all found us rather than us actively collecting them. It always amazes me that there are people who simply don't recognise that animals have lives that are just as meaningful in their way as humans. I know cats that I feel as honoured to know as any humans I have ever known with personalities that have varied as much as humans - affectionate, noble, saintly, gentle, unassuming, loyal, crazy, mean, scared. Wonderful story Grog and all my sympathy.

Clytie said...

"We knew we were doing the right thing, but geez we hated ourselves."

Oh, yeah. :(

It's such a hard thing to do, but from the POV of someone with a very painful, debilitating and currently incurable disease, I can tell you it's a good decision. Maybe one day humans will be allowed that choice.

Your wife must be a good person. We're all animal people, but my younger daughter has a similar effect on cats. Starved kittens find her. The first one found her when she was only 2 years old. They just appear out of nowhere and come to her. Some are too badly malnourished to survive, even with our best efforts, but others live long and happy lives as part of our family.

We, too, recently lost a much-loved elderly dog and cat. It was hard to start again, but after my now-adult daughter's Patented Kitten Attractor failed for the first time, we went to the local shelter, looking for a male kitten to grow up and defend our territory, and a female kitten whom our adult female cat might not resent too much. We naturally ended up with two male kittens, neither of them with the slightest interest in protecting our territory from the Weapon of Mass Olfactory Destruction, but one of them has over time actually broken down the snooty unsociability of the adult cat.

The bridge from grief to opportunity is never an easy one to build. Good luck.

pudgyfeet said...

My cat Stella rests on my arms as I laugh and cry at this beautiful tribute. So sorry for your loss.

phil said...

Grog - agree with all the other commenters, great post. Our Kim is 18, has seen off the other pussies that we preferred because she was such an awful cat in her younger years, but as she reaches her end (daily tablets etc) we know how gutted we are going to be when she eventually turns up her pretty toes. Thanks for sharing.

Hillbilly Skeleton said...

I feel your pain. Which is why I am going to tell you about my patented method that will keep Scamper in your heart forever. It's what I have done to enable me to remember Imbalaska forevermore. That is, whenever you register for a new Internet site, and they ask you to choose a Security question, always choose the one that says, 'What is the name of your first pet?' Of course, it doesn't have to be your first pet, it can be 'Scamper'. Thus will they be with you, in an aetherial sense, forever. :)
Btw, you DO look like Ralph Fiennes!

Anonymous said...

I had my beloved cat put down a few weeks ago. Thank you for this beautiful post. Scamper was obviously very well loved.

http://officeplusfurniture.com.au said...

Cushion is damage if cat is in bad mood.